Million Women Study: about us
The Million Women study was set up in collaboration with the NHS Breast Screening Programme in 1996.
The study is coordinated by experienced researchers based in Oxford and is a collaborative project between Cancer Research UK and the National Health Service, with additional funding from the Medical Research Council and the Health and Safety Executive.
Thank you to the 1.3 million women in the UK who have given their time and energy to fill in detailed questionnaires about their health over 20 years. The contribution of staff at the collaborating NHS Breast Screening Centres involved in the recruitment and breast screening for the study, and at General Practices throughout the UK who collected blood samples for The Disease Susceptibility Study is also gratefully acknowledged.
We welcome comments and suggestions. Please write to:
The Million Women Study Co-ordinating Centre
Cancer Epidemiology Unit
Richard Doll Building
Oxford OX3 7LF
Tel: Freephone 0800 262872
- The Cancer Epidemiology Unit website has more information about our research team, and details of the unit's other research projects.
- The Cancer Epidemiology Unit is part of the Nuffield Department of Population Health.
- Cancer Research UK has an extensive range of online cancer-related resources for patients, researchers and clinicians, and includes links to other cancer organisations.
- The NHS Breast Screening Programme has details on breast screening eligibility and explains what breast screening involves.
- The Medical Research Council has information about current research projects.
- The Macmillan website has information about specific cancers.